Monday, February 15, 2010

Some 2010 New Zealand Highlights

Kepler Track Lookout

Well...I'm home.  Back in State College, and I thought I'd post a few pics from my time in New Zealand.  Overall, I spent about 2 weeks roaming around the south island again.  I didn't do as much hiking, but saw a lot of places I didn't see last year.  Plus, I experienced a 5.1 earthquake first hand!

Started my time in the Botanical Gardens...

Then I headed up to Arthur's Pass to do a solo hike...

Did a lot of day hikes through old growth forests on the West Coast

Took lots of photos of Mt. Cook and Mt. Tasman

Mt. Cook from Lake Matheson

Beach view from the Haast Beach (Tamaka Island)

Sunset over Lake Wanaka

Talking with a Kea on the Kepler Track

Scenic Lookout on the Kepler

Lake Te Anau

Finishing up the Kepler with friend 
and fellow Antarctic cohort: Anais

Lots of great Coffee

Albatross on the East Coast

Stopped to see the steepest street in the world
on my way through Dunedin.  Had to leave quickly
as the rental car was leaking a lot of oil at this point.

Sitting on a calcite Moeraki boulder, or as I 
liked to call them: Dinosaur Eggs!

As a side note, I thought it was funny that at one point while driving along on the South Island, I was actually driving from the town of Gore, to the town of Clinton...

No comments: