Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Finger Lakes 50 Quick Preview

crossing one of the many pastures during the FL50

My running schedule has been rather quiet of late.  I've had some fun running some local short races here in town, but have been keeping things pretty low-key since my 231-mile jaunt in New Jersey back in May.  For anyone looking at my sidebar schedule, you may notice that I have three ultras over three consecutive weekends.  This is actually not a misprint, but will likely not play out as listed.

Here's what I can tell you.  I absolutely love the Finger Lakes run.  It is right up there on my list of all-time favorites.  This year will mark my 4th running of the 50-miler, and I couldn't be more excited.  Unfortunately the timing couldn't be worse.  All of my focus this July is on the Vol State road race next weekend.  I will go into more detail about this race in my next post, but needless to say, I cannot be running a hard 50-miler the weekend before.  (Let's not even talk about the fact that the Vermont 100 is also listed on my calendar the following weekend after that).

My plan for this weekend at Finger Lakes is actually quite simple.  I am going to have a nice, easy, fun, long run.  This will be the first time that I truly participate in an ultra without any intention of "racing".  There have been many times that I've expounded on the merits of "just having fun" during races or events and "not racing"...but there's still always a part of me that tries to give it my all.  I absolutely cannot do that this weekend, or I will blow any chance I have at completing the Vol State Race.  I will not be placing high, I will not be beating my time from last year, and there's a very high chance that I will stop after the 50k...simply because it will be necessary to preserve my legs for the following week. My focus instead will be to enjoy the good company, chat-it-up with fellow runners, volunteer some time after the race helping the directors where needed with clean-up, and to get some miles on my legs. I love this event too much to simply cancel altogether.

So wish me luck at staying conservative...it will be very difficult to hold back.  I have to keep the bigger picture in mind.  I am extremely excited about the Vol State race and want to be ready for it...but not burned out before I even start.

That's it for now...and I hope to post something about the Vol State next week.

-j

No comments: