Saturday, July 21, 2007

Appalachian Trail - Update 14 - Vermont

First off let me say that Murphy has his law in full effect today. Let me explain....

From the moment I stepped into Vermont it has rained continuously. Basically 5 straight days. The entire 105 miles from the border to Killington has been mud. The trail should be renamed the "AMT" for the Appalachian Mud Trail. Of course today...I hit Killington at 11 AM and am taking my usual Post Office half day........and its beautiful, sunny and 72 degrees. DOH!

Vermont has been slightly more difficult hiking than Massachusetts, but still not too bad. I have made the turn at Maine Junction here at Killington and am officially heading towards my end goal 484 miles away (at mile 1690). It was nice though sharing those miles with the famous "Long Trail" of Vermont. Killington Mountain was the first 4000+ ft mountain since The Priest Mtn in Virginia. Come to think of it, it's kind of crazy to think that I have less miles left than were in the entire state of Virginia....hmmm.

Anyway....I made the mistake of looking ahead at the elevation profiles for the White Mountains and I am terrified. I have 80 miles to Glencliff NH which is where the whites officially start. As soon as I leave the town, I head from 1000 ft up to 4800 ft in one shot up Mt Moosilauke. Nothing like a smooth transition.

On a side note, in the past few days I've passed 4 South Bound thru-hikers. It's kind of interesting hearing their side of the story. They all have the smirk as if to say "nah nah, I have the hardest part already completed". I just smirk back and think "yeah but I only have 480 miles left and you have 1700". I also think "I get to finish at Katahdin...and you get to finish on the completely uninspiring and underwhelming Springer Mtn." Seriuosly though, I have received a lot of good wisdom from the south bounders about the Whites and Maine. I can't wait to be hiking above treeline. I am getting tired of the "long green tunnel".

In two days I get to hike right through the campus of Dartmouth College in Hanover. That should be intersting. It will be tough trying to fit in with the students...and look "Ivy league" with almost 90 days of facial hair. Oh well.

Guess that's it for an update. I honestly don't know when/if I'll be able to update again. The lodging and internet access is real sketchy from here on out. I'll try but if I can't...just remember I'll be in the Whites from around the 26th to the 31st. If there's ever a time you feel like rooting for me, or cheering me on...that's when I'll need it the most. Say a few prayers to the weather Gods while you're at it too. There would be nothing worse than going through the entire Whites in rainy crappy weather and never seeing any of the amazing views. I am going to try and stay in the famous White Mountain Huts by doing a Thru-Hiker "work-for-stay" program they offer, so I'll at least hopefully get some good meals and warm places to stay. I'm shooting for Katahdin somewhere between the 14 and the 16th of August. I've been getting real tired lately so I may slow down a bit and hit on the 17th or 18th. It will all depend on how I feel in Gorham, NH (end of the Whites).

I've got LOTS of pics and videos from the 2nd half. Can't wait to upload them.

be well everyone, and I'll be back soon.

-a very tired, yet excited, john

No comments: