Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Foot X-Ray : Cautiously Optimistic


I had my foot x-rayed today at the University Health Center and I apparently have 3 of the doctors and one of the radiology technicians baffled. When I pulled my sock off, the doctor was convinced I had a stress fracture. When I got the x-ray, the technician was also convinced. When the images came up however, neither could find a definitive break. They even brought in a 2nd doctor to look and he couldn't find one either. The current diagnosis is that I strained a ligament on the edge or bottom of my foot. They've sent my x-rays to the Hershey medical center so that a Radiologist can look at them and make the final call, so I have my fingers crossed. I was told that if it's merely a sprain, I can start running again in 5-7 days (provided that pain is completely gone) If it's a break though, I will need to be off it for a while and that means Leadville is most certainly out. I have been taking it very easy since Vermont and have been continuing to ice. I'm also wearing the ski-boot they gave me to keep it stable.

I should know by tomorrow what the final diagnosis is. Let's hope....

3 comments:

Jeremiah said...

I know how you feel! I thought I might of had a stress fx when I went to the ER in Front Royal, VA. Thankfully it was only severe shin splints, but it took like 2 weeks before the pain finally went away. Hopefully you will recoup quicker than me!

Carri Westbrook said...

I will keep my fingers crossed that it is not something serious. I know how much you were looking forward to the Leadville race. keep me posted.

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

You will soon be healed and off and running again. Don't rush the healing as time off can be a blessing in disguise. Loved the race report BTW.