Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trail Running in Antarctica

Ross Island Trail System Marker, Antarctica


Decided to go for a little run last night...and man was it cold!  I layered up nicely, but didn't anticipate the high winds.  Even fully geared up and running hard, my face was extremely cold.  I forgot my neck gaiter and paid for it with some light frost nip on my face.  The trail was worth it though.  Great views of Mt. Discover, Observation Hill, and the Sea Ice.  It's a great, albeit feisty, little trail.  Today I hope to get out and do the Ob Hill loop around the base of Observation Hill.  This was my favourite trail from last year.  Once it warms up a little, I also hope to rent out some skis from the gear supply depot here.

McMurdo is very overcrowded this year and busting at the seams with people.  I can't wait to get out to WAIS Divide, but it's going to be a while as the flights keep getting delayed due to weather.

Hut Point Loop Trail


Hut Point Loop Trail Climb


Observation Hill (off in distance) and McMurdo


Mt. Discovery as seen from McMurdo




1 comment:

Sara Montgomery said...

That's an amazing trail! Thanks for sharing.