Monday, January 5, 2009

...The Day After.....

It's the day after our first storm here at WAIS and everyone survived. The drifting was pretty bad and there will be a lot of "digging out" today. Overall the storm packed at most about 35 knot winds with only a few hours of heavy snow. I would consider it a "medium" storm. We never hit an official lockdown at camp where everyone is forced to stay in the galley. I missed a small spot when covering my tent fly, so of course, blowing snow managed to sneak in and build up against my one wall. I woke up with a cold tent wall pressing against my face.

It is still blowing today, but the snowing and drifting has settled way down. We were supposed to get a flight, but obviously that is canceled. I took a couple of videos and pics and will post them all when I get home. Here are a couple samples:

Shot of camp during some of the snowing/blowing. Visibility down to 50 meters or so
Inverted footprints: During heavy drifting, footprints will flip upside down.

No comments: