Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Staying till the end....

My original plan was to head out of WAIS mid to late next week, but it looks like I'll be staying until the last day of drilling on the 23rd. The chief scientist here (Ken Taylor) has asked if I can stick around to continue to help out....and of course I said "heck yeah". There's a plane coming in this morning that Ken is leaving on that's now on its third attempt to make it here. Yesterday it made it within an hour of here, and had to boomerang back to McMurdo due to mechanical problems. This actually happens quite. Not much else to update. We hit a depth of 1100 meters this morning and have only 400 meters to go now. I've started boxing up some of my lab equipment that I'm done with so that I don't have to do it all last minute. I'm going to be heading out to my snowpit one last time this morning to dig out the plywood. Unfortunately, after the storm we just had, it will be heavily drifted in...so it will be a long morning of shoveling.
Talk to you all soon,

-john

Halo'd sun with "Sun Dogs"
The core handlers' being goofy
(Anais, Gifford, Susanne, Logan, Tim, Marie, Natalie, Bess, Spruce, Me)

No comments: