Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 99: Mile 1988.4 (30.1)

Location: Lava Camp Lake

Incredible day...on many levels. Got back to the trailhead at about 8
am thanks to Lloyd with a tall dutch brothers coffee in hand. Great
way to start the day. Freshly showered and laundered it pained me to
spray on the deet, but I knew the Mosquitos would be out...at least i
thought. I don't know what higher power was looking out for me, call
it Buddha, call it god, call krishna, call it Allah, call it yahweh,
or simply call it good fortune...but for some strange environmental
and/or ecological reason, the Mosquitos disappeared today in the three
sisters wilderness. For the first time in over a week, i was able to
take long and comfortable breaks. I was able to hike in shorts! I
hiked along all three sister mountains and various other volcanic
areas. Stunning views...,but surprisingly still very snowy. In the
area around obsidian falls, I had long stretches of snow fields I had
to navigate. Crazy considering it's almost august. My day ended at a
great campground replete with nice flat spots and picnic tables! I
sat down, cooked dinner in peace without an evil swarm hovering above,
and had a great conversation with a day hiker. Ah...the little
things. Hiking was fun again today for the first time in a while.
Tomorrow, more lava fields and mt. Washington. Snowy Jefferson and
Hood are looming in the distance. Also, i will cross mile 2000
tomorrow...woo hoo. :-). Don't know how long the mosquito break will
last, but it's so nice to be falling asleep and not hear the "hum"
outside. So so very nice

No comments: