Monday, February 8, 2010

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"


It's that time again when I must say goodbye to New Zealand.  I have had another great time down here exploring this beautiful country.  I again focused my travels in the south island, and had a blast....well at least until my rental car went wonky.  In the end though, I did make it back to Christchurch in one piece, so I can't be too upset.

Once I get home, I have lots to sort out.  I have to finish up writing my publication manuscript (from my Masters), decide on grad school, and figure out my summer plans.  So far, all of the race lotteries that I signed up for, I have not been selected on, so I do not have any set ultras that I'll be running.

It is hard to say what will happen later this year.  Will I be back at WAIS for the final season of drilling?  Don't know.  I certainly would like it, but it will all depend on where I'm studying.

Tomorrow starts my long 2 days of flying with the bonus of a stopover in Hawaii.  I look forward to being home and seeing people that I've missed.  

The 2010 horizon is unlimited, and I look forward to seeing how it plays out.  I often feel that I lack the energy and passion I had several years back when thinking about a new year ahead, but I know that my heart still longs for adventure.  As is said in Tennyson's "Ulysses" which I feel is rather apropos:

"We are not now that strength which in the old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are,
One equal-temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

No comments: