Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Help! I Need a Pacer (& Crew?) for Leadville


*UPDATE:  I FOUND A PACER!  THANK YOU SOPHIA!*

I again find myself in a similar position as I was back in 2009.  The Leadville Trail 100 is a month away, and I am currently sans pacer.  A friend (and Colorado native) of mine had offered to pace, but only recently found out that she has to do field work that weekend.   This gives me less than four weeks to find someone.  I've already posted a note to facebook and joined the LT100 yahoo discussion group (where I will post a request).  I am also still waiting to hear back from another local friend of mine who had said he'd crew for me, but at the moment, it's looking like I might also be sans crew for the race.  I'm in no way panicking...as worst case scenario is that I simply go solo.  It's not unheard of, but certainly not preferred.  

I'm hoping that this post brings me luck...much like in 2009.  After posting a similar message back then, I was so very fortunate to hear back from Kati (who read my blog)...a random ultra runner from California who wanted to run Leadville in 2010, but wanted to first "feel-out" the course.  Because Leadville is a 50-mile out-n-back, she was able to see the entire course by running the 2nd half w/me.  She was a life saver and helped get me to the finish.  I also had fantastic crewing for the race...the best you could get, from my friend Elizabeth.  (She will not be States-side this year during the race).   

So, long story short, if you are reading this and feel like helping a fellow runner out at Leadville here is me asking you:
  • Would you like to come to Leadville CO and run with me as my pacer from Mile 50 on?  You wouldn't have to run the entire 50 miles (from 50-100), but I would certainly enjoy the company and extra motivation for the entire 2nd half.  (There will be a lot of hiking)
  • The race is on Saturday and Sunday, August 20th - 21st. 
  • I may be able to help with some of your travel, but on a graduate student stipend salary, I can barely afford my own travel expenses
  • If you'd rather crew instead, or know someone who would, please also let me know!
  • If you have any questions about the race or pacer/crew expectations, please please please email me.  It really is A LOT of fun.
  • I am NOT a Leadville rookie.  I finished the race in 29 hours back in 2009 and am shooting to beat that time by at least an hour this year, hopefully 2 hours.  I am in much better shape this year, and I just ran the Vermont 100 in under 22 hours.
  • Please email if you are interested or know someone who might be!  My email is:  TROWER7 at GMAIL dot COM.  If you'd rather talk over the phone, email me and I'll send you my number.

So listen.  If you are sitting there and reading this thinking, "Yeah that sounds awesome, but I don't know this guy and it seems like a lot of logistics, and 50 miles is a long way to pace....etc etc"......Please, please, just email me.  It is absolutely so much fun at this race and I guarantee you'll have a blast.  I didn't know Kati in 2009, and we had a great time running together.  Why not do something a little crazy?  I never thought I'd be running Leadville once, let alone twice!  So if you think it sounds like fun, or even just intriguing...shoot me an email.   I need your help getting to the finish again!  

My 2009 finish

If you want a little extra motivation.  Here is my video 
from the 2009 race to give you a taste of what it's like 
(Elizabeth-crew is filming, and Kati-pacer is running at the end with me)

No comments: