Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tussey mOUnTaiNBACK 50 Miler: Quick Race Preview


For the first time since I started running long ultras in 2008, I'll be running an official ultra in my home town.  The Tussey mOUnTaiNBACK is a 50 miler ultra and relay course that happens in late October right down the street from my apartment here in State College.  Every year, I am either gone, or have another race during the Tussey and have been unable to do it, so I'm very excited to finally be able to participate this year.  There will be several friends and colleagues running both the ultra and on various relay teams, as well as many familiar faces cheering me on.  The course is also home to the USATF 50-mile championship and so has drawn some fast runners this year (i.e. Michael Wardian, Michael Arnstein, The returning champ: Todd Braje, etc).

I have quite literally run every leg of this course and most of my recent Saturday long runs have been at least partially on the course (I know these fire roads quite well). I have absolutely zero expectations for this race other than to really and truly just have fun with it.  I deploy for Antarctica in less than three weeks, and just want to cap off my 2011 ultra season with a fun and smile-inducing hometown run.

So, to all my State College friends...come by on Sunday and cheer for the runners, and even volunteer at an aid station if you feel up to it.  They can certainly use the help.

I can't think of a better way to finish off a very fun and successful season of running.

Lots of ideas for what new races I might try for next year have been bouncing around in my head lately.  I'm certainly trying for Western States again, but my expectations are admittedly low.

Anyhooo.....Time to shift my mind into Antarctica mode here soon....

2 comments:

Boris T said...

Good luck!

R A said...

John,
It is unfair you thrashing your PRs like this..Since you are little late in updating your blog, I checked the race results. Congrats!!