Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Arrives in West Antarctica

Looking out from WAIS Divide....(low-res)

Update:
We're over the half-way point in our 2012-13 field season here at WAIS Divide. The replicate ice coring that proved to be quite problematic last season, has been working like a charm this year. We are targeting 4 different core depths to be drilled at an angle off the main borehole that was completed early last season. So far, we've already finished 2 of the cores (each over 50 meters in total), and we are a good way into the third. If everything stays on track, we should wrap up the season right on schedule or perhaps even a smidge early. I have also successfully deployed my five snow surface temperature sensor stations. Each one took about a day to calibrate and install...but they've all been recording non-stop for over two weeks. It's getting to that point in the season where everyone is getting a wee bit homesick, and I know I have certainly started dreaming about getting back. We technically have 3 weeks left of possible drilling, but like I said, I suspect we'll end a smidge early.

Despite the main ice core being completed last year, the camp population is much higher this year because the Polenet project is also based out of our camp (Yep...the same polenet that I worked with last year at Union Glacier)

We all enjoyed a really nice Christmas, New Years, and even Apocalypse (Dec 21st) parties in camp. Lots of really great camp staff and science folks this year. Everyone gets along great and we all work together very well.

On a running front, I managed to slip my name back into Leadville again...as well as Finger Lakes. I also have Vermont scheduled...but we'll see about that one. My big goal for 2012, now that Hardrock didn't pan out, will be to run the Plain 100 in September. I'm putting it on my calendar now. I have another escapade possible planned for later in the year, but I will leave that off the record for now. The knee is doing better, but the heel still bothers me on and off. Not sure what to do next with it. I've been forgoing the running down here and instead been skiing a lot.

That's about it for now. I look forward to getting back home and getting my next paper written/submitted.

-j

No comments: