Monday, August 17, 2009

Leadvile Trail 100 Preview - Sort of

Well, I had planned on doing a very detailed race preview for the Leadville Trail 100 that I'll be participating in this weekend, but have decided instead to keep it very simple.

The bottom line is, that this race is ridiculously difficult. Even if I were in perfect shape (and had actually trained enough for it), there'd still be a 50% chance that I wouldn't finish. I have come to some very big realizations the past week about this race. My body is still not 100% following Vermont (something I had tried to convince myself of), and I have simply not put in enough miles since. Don't get me wrong, I have been running, but just not enough. So here's the deal...

I am going to go to Colorado. I am going to start the Leadville 100. I am going to have fun. Period. I am very excited to be in the mountains again...as I absolutely love Colorado (and the leadville area in particular). I am pumped to see a good friend that I haven't seen in a while (elizabeth - crew), pumped to meet new people and my new pacer (Kati), and excited to even be attempting something so infamous. I will push as hard as I can to finish this race, but I simply do not have the physical preparedness that I had for Vermont. This doesn't mean I can't do it...it just means I have to have a very realistic goal. While the idea of earning a buckle is appealing, it just seems now so out of reach. the fact that only 35 people earned a buckle last year (with 30 of them being high-altitude colorado runners), means even if I were in perfect peak shape, this would be unlikely. So rather than be discouraged, I am going to be excited and go into the same mentality I had last year at the vermont 50....and that is to simply endure to the finish before time runs out.

I am glad to be excited about this again. For the past week, I have been terrified and unexcited. Since coming to these realizations though, it's as though a huge weight has been lifted. I really am pumped just to get out there and make a stab at it.

so lets go running!


1 comment:

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

Have FUN at Leadville. Run it like URG would...with a silly sideways grin on your face;\