Tuesday, September 20, 2011

2011 Vermont 50 - Short Preview


Will all the hustle and bustle as of late with school and various other commitments, it's hard to believe that another ultrarun is yet upon me.  This Sunday I will participate in my 3rd Vermont 50 race.  While I am super excited to be running what has been, and still is, my favorite ultra...I am also having some mixed feelings.  First off, I have an important school conference in San Diego next week that I'm frantically trying to prepare data and a poster for.  This has put running as rather low on my list of priorities.  Also, knowing that Vermont was devastated by Hurricane Irene, and that the course had to be modified because of it, makes it feel a bit off.  I feel terrible for the people and communities that were most affected, and will be bringing some food donations up with me (every little bit helps), but it's almost made me feel like I should stay away, so that the communities can rebuild in peace without be swarmed by crazy runners and bikers.  Although, having so many supportive people come up can and should bring the spirits of the locals up a bit I would think.  Like I said, it's just a weird year for the race.

Also, for the first time this year, I don't really have a set goal for a race.  I suppose if I had to set a time one, I would strive to beat my previous VT50 time of 10:37 and perhaps shoot to break 10 hours even.  I know I can do it, as I broke 10 at Finger Lakes this year.  Honestly though, I love this race so much, I really just want to go, and enjoy the beautiful colors, and wonderful people.  So...my goal for this year's VT 50, my REAL goal, is simply to have a smile on for all 50 miles.  This was my very first 50-miler back in '08, and I want to have as much fun as I did back then.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful muddy fiasco...but that's usually when I'm smiling the most!

So...wish me luck and here we go!

...on a side note, I finally put a short video together of my Leadville pics from this year:

2 comments:

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

OK, GOOD LUCK:-)

UltraChris said...

Amazing job, john! And I love that video ... very inspirational. Looking to be a good weekend for Oil Creek ... see you there!