Tuesday, May 1, 2012

5 Years Ago - Appalachian Trail

Starting the Approach Trail up to Springer Mountain (1-May-2007)

Has it really been 5 years?  5 years since I took that first life-changing step up the Appalachian Trail- Approach Trail?  Has it really been 5 years since I strained and hobbled my chubby and out-of-shape body up that first 8 miles to the summit of Springer Mountain and the start of what would be a 2175 mile journey?

I guess time really does fly when you're having fun.

...How things can change.  If you would have asked me 8 years ago where'd I'd be in 8 years, and what sort of things would I have accomplished, I might have told you that I would maybe have a bigger house, nicer car, and perhaps a few more Microsoft certifications.  Never in a million years would I have guessed that I would have ended up where I have.  I have seen more, and experienced more life in that past 5 years, than I had in my previous 30.  While certainly I would have preferred different circumstances to have triggered my need to pull that steering wheel in a different direction, I am incredibly content at where I've ended up.  

I had considered trying to pour my soul into a post about how profound my last 5 years has been, all of the beautiful things I've seen....  Blah blah blah.  The honest truth is that I've found some semblance of true happiness and I will keep seeing where this road takes me.  I have been very fortunate to have been able to do the things I've have, and have not taken any of them for granted.

So hike on my friends, and please, whatever you do, don't settle.  Go after it....whatever IT is.

-john

here is a little more walking down that memory lane from 5 years ago...

Packing up my gear

Heading out to Airport

Amicalola State Park - about to start up the approach trail

Springer Mountain Sign

First official step on the AT

On a side note, one thing that I did think about is that if you add up all the miles I've hiked and run in these 5 years, roughly 11,000, and divide that into those 5 years.....it means I averaged 6 miles a day, for every single day of those 5 years.  That's pretty cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lakewood,

Thanks for this post. I've just finished up my first week on the PCT and am in Warner Springs. That is good advice...whatever IT is, keep doing it. I think I'll carry that with me. Good luck on future endeavors and maybe we'll meet on the CDT. ;) -Russ

HometownHiker said...

Happy Anniversary! I can relate how a trip to Springer can change your life. I made mine in March of '08.

Happy Trails!