Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rothrock Trail Challenge 30k - Race Preview


The time has come, where my shoes shall meet the trail once again.  This coming weekend I have my first of many official trail races this summer.  Starting early Saturday morning, I will be heading out for an 18+ mile jaunt through the rough and rocky Rothrock State Forest here in State College.  The race: The Rothrock Trail Challenge 30k.  While I will be "racing" this event, I will also force myself to be moderately conservative, as next weekend, I have my first ultra of the season:  The Laurel Highlands 50k.  So in a sense, The Rothrock is a beefed up training run, much like the Finger Lakes 50m will be for the Vermont 100. 

Since finishing the Pocono Marathon 2+ weeks ago, I have maintained a rather aggressive training schedule, with the hopes of going into this season's trail races ready to give them a run for their money (no pun intended).   Last week I topped out at 56 miles for the week.  This week I will be instituting a very small taper towards the end of the week, but still hope to get in a fair amount of miles.  I'm trying not to think too far ahead, but I do have my eyes looking a little bit ahead to next week's 50k.

Nothing like starting off with bang.  The Rothrock 30k is aggressive.   The course is littered with notorious PA rocks and has a hell of an elevation profile.  30k may not be an official "ultra", but this race will assuredly kick my ass regardless.  Here are some pics from the event's website:



...and the elevation profile

2 comments:

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

Good Luck tomorrow. The pictures really tell the story of this race. There are going to be lots of ups and downs and rocky roads and hills awaiting you. Have FUN!

Lakewood said...

Thanks E. I'm looking forward to some aggressive trail fumbling. Should be a good day for it too.